The sources for the Greek Drawings are: *** 1) BOOK CODE: P.A.A.: The Principles of Athenian Architecture by Francis Cranmer Penrose, published by the Society of Dilettanti, London, Macmillan and Co. New York, 1888; printed by R &.R. Clark, EdinburghBOOK CODE: R.M.A: Restaurations des Monuments Antiques, par les Architectes pensionnaires de L’Académie de France à Rome, depuis 1788 jusqu’à nos jours. Publiées avec les memoires explicatifs des auteurs sous les auspices du Government Français. Temples de Paestum par Labrouste, Paris (executed in 1829). Typographie et librairie de Firmin-Didot et cie. Imprimeurs de l’Institut, rue Jacob, 56, 1877. *** 2) BOOK CODE: F.A. (1): Fragments d’Architecture Antique (Vol. 1.), d’après les relevés + restaurations des anciens pensionnaires de l’académie de France à Rome publiés sous la direction de H. D’Espouy, professeur à l’Ecole des Beaux-Arts; Paris librairie générale de l’architecture et des arts décoratifs; ch. Massin, éditeur, 51, rue des Ecoles, 51 (published before 1905). *** 3) BOOK CODE: F.A. (2): Fragments d’Architecture Antique (Vol 2.), d’après les relevés + restaurations des anciens pensionnaires de l’académie de France à Rome publiés sous la direction de H. D’Espouy, professeur à l’Ecole des Beaux-Arts; Paris librairie générale de l’architecture et des art décoratifs; ch. Massin, éditeur, 51 , rue des Ecoles, 51 (published before December 7, 1905). *** 4) BOOK CODE: C.R.A.: Classic and Renaisssance Architecture by Professor J. Buhlmann; William Helburn, Inc., 418 Madison Ave., New York, N.Y. (no date given) *** 5) BOOK CODE: A.A.R.: Architectural Antiquities of Rome, with one hundred and thirty views plus measurements taken in 1817, 1818 and 1819, by George Ledwell Taylor, architect, and Edward Cresy, architect. A new edition including the more recent discoveries. London: Lockwood and Co., Stationers’ Hall Court, 187 *** These drawings were all photographed by Archivision from original, out-of-print and copyright free sources. The book source and plate # for each image is provided with the image ID. *** *** *** *** *** Subject info: *** The Parthenon was designed by the architects Kallikrates and Iktinos and begun in 447 BC under the direction of Perikles as an expression of the glory of ancient Athens. It was built primarily to house the 12 meter high statue of Athena Partheonos (Maiden), sculpted by Pheidias. It took nine years to construct, the temple was dedicated to the goddess in 438 BC. *** The Temple of Athena Nike, located on the west side of the Propylaia, was designed and built by Kallikrates in 427-424 BC to commemorate the Athenians' victories over the Persians. *** The Propylaia was built by the architect Mnesikles as a new and enormous entrance to the Acropolis in 437 BC - using a combination of blue Eleusinian marble and Pentelic marble. It was a building admired throughout the ancient world. *** The Erechtheion is a small Doric and Ionic temple built between 421 and 407 BC. It housed several important shrines - the most important being the shrines of Athena, Poseidon and of Erechtheus and Cerrops, kings of Athens, to which the Panathenaic procession made its way. It is named after Erechtheus, one of the mythical kings of Athens. The Erechtheion is situated on the most sacred site of the Acropolis - it is said to be where Poseidon left his trident marks in a rock, and Athena's olive tree sprouted in their battle for possession of the city. The central cella is bounded by north, east and south porticoes - made the more interesting due to its location on sloping ground.
Archivision Inc. (all images copyright Scott Gilchrist / Archivision.com)