begun 1564-1572; remodeled 1594-1609 and 1666-1671
Scott Gilchrist, Archivision
The gardens were first created between 1564 and 1572 by Catherine de Medici, then remade between 1594 and 1609 by Henri IV, and then transformed again between 1666 and 1671 by Andre Le Notre, King Louis XIV's gardener. The gardens were open to the public from the early 17C onwards. The Jardin des Tuileries is spread out over 2,500 acres, running parallel to the Rue de Rivoli and the banks of the Seine River. In addition to numerous flowerbeds and trimmed green landscapes, the garden features several intriguing sculptures, including pieces from Marly, Van Cleve, Coustou, and Le Paultre.
Archivision Inc. (all images copyright Scott Gilchrist / Archivision.com)