Begun in 1612 by Salomon de Bross, these gardens evolved over more than a century in the hands of several designers. The large sunken parterre was laid out later by Jaques Boyceau de la Barauderie. The axis leading south, known as the 'Avenue de l'Observatoire', was added after the Revolution in 1798 to extend to the observation deck by architect Chalgrin. Chalgrin also re-designed the gardens adding the two semicircular bays.
Archivision Inc. (all images copyright Scott Gilchrist / Archivision.com)