Construction of the present stone church began in 1793. It was built with native sandstone quarried from the nearby Santa Lucia Mountains and erected on the site of the original adobe chapel. The interior walls curve inward as they rise. The ceiling follows the sweep of the walls, forming a beautiful catenary arch. The tower is of Moorish design and holds nine bells, which are reached by an outside staircase. Originally the walls were covered with burnt tile. The church was four years in construction and was dedicated in 1797. From official website, see link below for more data.
Archivision Inc. (all images copyright Scott Gilchrist / Archivision.com)