The architectural form of the university was rooted in ideas for an academic village' which Jefferson had been developing between 1804-10. This was comprised of two lines of five pavilions linked by colonnades, containing lecture rooms and accommodation for ten professors, which faced each other across a vast lawn. Following a suggestion by the architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe, the head of the composition was marked by a great circular library modeled on the Pantheon and built from Jefferson's designs in 1823-27. No previous university had been planned in this way, though the pavilion layout may have been suggested by the unusual disposition of Louis XIV's Chateau of Marly, which Jefferson had visited while in Paris....the pavilions themselves, all differently designed, are elegant and witty versions of Palladian sources and correct antique detailing.....'. Source: 'A History of Western Architecture' by David Watkin, p 371.
Archivision Inc. (all images copyright Scott Gilchrist / Archivision.com)