Vasari received his three largest architectural commissions in 1559-1562: the Uffizi in Florence, buildings for the Order of the Cavalieri di S Stefano in Pisa, which involved the remodelling of the town centre, and the dome of the Madonna dell'Umiltà in Pistoia. In 1561 he began planning the buildings in Pisa for the Order of the Cavalieri di S Stefano, founded by Cosimo, and the remodelling of the town centre. These projects, mainly concerned with rebuilding older palazzi, were intended to eradicate traces of the governmental seat of the Republic of Pisa. Work began in 1562 with the remodelling of the Palazzo dei Cavalieri, for which Vasari designed a sgraffito façade. He also designed the church of S Stefano (1565-1569) and its interior decoration; later he painted its altarpiece. The Canonica and the Palazzo dell'Orologio, planned and begun by Vasari, were completed in the 17th century.