Baranovsky made his reputation designing shops in the Art Nouveau style in Moscow and St Petersburg for the wealthy merchant G. G. Yeliseyev [also rendered Eliseyev, Yeliseyev, Eliseeff]. After the creation of the Yeliseyev Pavilion at the All-Russian Arts and Industrial Exhibition (1896) in Nizhny Novgorod, Baranovsky began construction of the shop, theatre and restaurant complex (1902-1906; now Gastronom No. 1 and the Comedy Theatre) at the Yeliseyev trading house, 58 Nevsky Prospect, St Petersburg. The shop has a marvellous Art Nouveau interior, which makes decorative use of glass, metal, stained glass and glazed ceramics, and a grandiose Baroque Revival faade, which includes colossal allegorical figures by Amandus Adamson. The proportions of the building correspond to Karl Rossis Aleksandrinsky (now Pushkin) Theatre opposite, which was built in 1828-1832.