Rossi worked particularly long and hard (1816-1832) on an ensemble that is centred on the Aleksandrinsky (now called the A. S. Pushkin Academy Theatre) Theatre , one that incorporated a grand system of new streets and squares. The north side faces Nevsky Prospekt; then comes the theatres main faade; behind is Teatralnaya (now Rossi) Street, linking the square on the south side of the theatre with the semicircular Chernyshov (now Lomonosov) Square, which opens towards the Fontanka. Another innovation was the metallic decoration to the ceilings of the Aleksandrinsky Theatre. The portico of the main facade has six Corinthian columns, topped by a sculptural group by Stepan Pimenov, of Apollo, patron of the arts, driving a chariot harnessed to four horses. It is one of several quadrigas designed by Pimenov and the sculptor Vasily Demut-Malinovsky for Rossi buildings in St. Petersburg.