The building had to accommodate the existing Large Hermitage and went through several revisions (and disputes between Klenze and Vasily Stasov, the supervising architect for the entire Hermitage complex at the time). In the final layout, the southern side of the building, facing onto Millionnaya Street, became the main facade with the grand entrance accentuated by a portico with stone atlantes, carved from Serdobol granite to the designs of the sculptor Terebenev. Leo von Klenze gave the building erected in what he himself described as the 'Neo-Grecian' style an austere, monumental appearance. The edifice is adorned by statues and bas-reliefs depicting famous artists, architects and sculptors of the past. The museum was opened to the public in February 1852. It was Russia's first public art museum.