The Country Club Plaza was the first shopping center in the world designed to accommodate shoppers arriving by automobile. Established in 1923 by J. C. Nichols and designed architecturally after Seville, Spain, the Plaza comprises high-end retail establishments, restaurants, and entertainment venues, as well as offices. The neighborhoods surrounding the Plaza consist of apartment buildings and upscale houses, especially those of the Country Club District built along Ward Parkway on the Plaza's southern and southwestern side. The Country Club Plaza is named in the Project for Public Spaces' list ""60 of the World's Great Places"". The Plaza's parking is discretely concealed in underground garages, rooftops or behind shops, making the area more compact and pedestrian friendly.