The Place Dauphine, laid out in 1609 while the Place des Vosges was still under construction, was named for the Dauphin of France, the future Louis XIII. It was among the earliest city-planning projects of Henri IV. Achilles Harley was the magistrate (later the first president of parliament) in charge of the building program of 32 town houses adhering to a single plan, arranged in two parallel blocks. The land for the square was donated by the Crown, but construction was paid for by the individual plot owners, who were required to follow the royal facade design. The houses are built of brick with limestone quoins, and they have arcaded ground-floors capped by steep slate roofs with dormers.