The City of Arts and Sciences is an entertainment-based cultural and architectural complex. It is the most important modern tourist destination in the city of Valencia. It is situated at the end of the old riverbed Turia. Turia became a garden in 1980, after the bypass of the river by the great flood of Valencia in 1957. Designed by Santiago Calatrava and Felix Candela, the project underwent the first stages of construction in July, 1996 and the finished 'city' was inaugurated April 16, 1998 with the opening of L'Hemisferic. The last great component of the City of the Arts and the Sciences, El Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia, was opened October 9, 2005.