La Habana (Havana) was the chief naval station of the Spanish in 16th century (founded 1519); captured by British in 1762, restored in 1763. Site of initial battle of Spanish-American War in 1898; seat of revolutionary government since 1959. Old Havana (Spanish: La Habana Vieja) contains the core of the original city of Havana. The positions of the original Havana city walls are the modern boundaries of Old Havana. Old Havana and its fortifications is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.