Situated just west of the Parliament Buildings on a bluff high above the Ottawa River, and set back from a busy Wellington Street by an expanse of lawn. Construction began in 1939, with the cornerstone laid by Queen Elizabeth, consort to King George VI and later Queen Mother. The Court began hearing cases in the new building by January 1946. The building is renowned for its Art Deco details. In 2000, it was named by the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada as one of the top 500 buildings produced in Canada during the last millennium.