The current Palais de justice de Montreal is the third building on Notre-Dame Street in Old Montreal to bear that name. The first was the Old Montreal Courthouse, now known as the municipal edifice Lucien-Saulnier, designed by John Ostell and inaugurated in 1856. The second is now known as the edifice Ernest-Cormier and home to the Quebec Court of Appeal. It was built between 1922 and 1926, and designed by architects Louis-Auguste Amos, Charles J. Saxe and Ernest Cormier. It was the first major commission for Cormier after his return to Montreal from his studies in Paris. After Cormier's death in 1980, the building was renamed in his honour. It currently houses the Quebec Court of Appeal.