William Henry Miller was the first graduate (1872) of the architecture school at Cornell University, studying under Cornell President Andrew D. White. The tower is home to the Cornell Chimes. The original nine bells rang at the University's opening ceremonies October 7, 1868. Those nine bells were donated by Jennie McGraw and have now been expanded to 21. In 1891, they were moved to their permanent home atop McGraw Tower. The tower is also home to an office, museum, practice room, and a restored 1875 Seth Thomas clock with a 14-foot pendulum. In 1997, the tower garnered national media attention when late-night pranksters adorned the tower's spire with what turned out to be a hollowed-out pumpkin.