Construction on Goldwin Smith Hall began in 1904, and was completed in 1906. The building was designed by architects Carrere and Hastings, and its original construction cost of $368,989 was funded by the trustees of the University. Its original use was to house the College of Arts and Sciences. The north wing of Goldwin Smith was originally the College of Agriculture Dairy Science Building, designed by Charles F. Osborne and constructed in 1893. The Dairy Science building was incorporated into the final design of Goldwin Smith Hall. The building was named in honor of one of Cornell's most beloved professors, Goldwin Smith. Goldwin Smith came from Oxford University, and was a Professor Emeritus in English History at the time of the building's dedication.