This memorial was begun in 1920 (after a competition for the sculptors) in honour of soldiers from the region, who fought during the First World War. Eight tall stone columns lead up to the pediment, on which the names of the main battlefields are engraved. The architect Leon Jaussely was responsible for coordinating the work and the architectural design. A team of three sculptors (Camille Raynaud, Andre Abbal, and Henry Raphael Moncassin) created the bas-reliefs. Inscriptions celebrate the French troops' exceptional courage and the return of the Alsace-Lorraine region (occupied by Germany) to France. Haute-Garonne is the name of the department (regional subdivision) that contains Toulouse.