The Palais de Tokyo was inaugurated by President Lebrun on May 24, 1937, at the time of the International Exhibition of Arts and Technology of 1937. The original name of the building was Palais des Musees d'art moderne ('Palace of the Museums of modern art'); near the Trocadero. The eastern wing of the building belongs the City of Paris and now hosts the Musee d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris. Janniot was educated at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts. Under the influence of Antoine Bourdelle, most of Janniot's career was given to monumental and architectural sculpture. He completed all of the wall reliefs on the Palais de Tokyo in 1937 for the International Exhibition. The large Legend of the Earth and Legend of the Sea reliefs are on the southern facade of the building.