Proposals to rebuild Gabriel Davioud's Palais du Trocadero for the Exposition Internationale des Arts et Techniques dans la Vie Moderne (1937) in Paris resulted in Carlu's design for the Palais de Chaillot (with Louis Hippolyte Boileau and Leon Azema (1888-1978)), enclosing within its two curved wings parts of the original structure. The main feature, called the Fountain of Warsaw, is a long basin, or water mirror, with twelve fountain-creating columns of water 12 meters high; twenty four smaller fountains four meters high; and ten arches of water. At one end, facing the Seine, were twenty powerful water cannon, able to project a jet of water fifty meters. Above the long basin were two smaller basins, linked with the lower basin by cascades flanked by 32 sprays of water four meters high. These fountains are the only exposition fountains which still exist today, and still function as they once did. The present garden has an area of 93,930 m2, and was created for the Exposition, also the design of architect Roger-Henri Expert. The gardens are bounded to the northwest by the wings of the Palais de Chaillot and to the southeast by the Seine and the Pont d'Iena.