This marble bust of the lover of the emperor Hadrian (ruled 117-138) was present in the Louvre's Salle des Antiques in 1793. It was long confused with a bronze sculpture confiscated from the Chateau d'ecouen in the same year, then transferred to Versailles before later joining the Louvre. (Antiquities from the royal residences were confiscated with the property of the Crown in 1792 and put on display at the Louvre.) Both sculptures reproduce a bust found during the Renaissance that probably came from the Villa Hadriana. The Louvre bust comes from the French royal collections and is an 18th-century copy of the Roman work.