The city's original name was Charles Towne in 1670, and it moved to its present location (Oyster Point) from a location on the west bank of the Ashley River (Albemarle Point) in 1680. It adopted its present name in 1783. In 1690, Charleston was the fifth largest city in North America, and remained among the ten largest cities in the United States through the 1840 census. The Charleston Historic District, also known as Charleston Old and Historic District, was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960. When initially listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, the district was defined as 'An area roughly bounded by Broad, Bay, S. Battery and Ashley and an area along Church bounded by Cumberland and Chalmers'. The district area has subsequently been increased five times, in 1970, 1978, 1984, 1985, and 1986. It includes 81 contributing properties and 700 or more other properties.