Unusual for the area, this home is brick with the more typical piazza (multi-storey porch) in wood. Progress on the construction of this brick mansion between 1855 and 1857 is documented by surviving correspondence between Means and Franklin Talbird, who supervised its construction. The house was used as Union Hospital #2 during the Civil War. Entered from the end elevation facing east on the 'The Green,' the interior of the house is notable for its spacious quality. It has fine woodwork, marble mantels, and a beautiful floating spiral staircase. Like most Beaufort antebellum houses, the porch faces south to receive prevailing breezes, sun in winter and shade in summer.