This house was used as a hospital by Union troops in the closing days of the Civil War. The house has a Charleston-style multi-storey porch known as a 'piazza' running the full length of the house (as typical, on the south side) and a raised basement with entrance on the second or 'reception' level. The 'reception level' piazza has Doric columns, the upper floor has Ionic. Instead of a side entrance to the piazza, this has a central staircase made of marble. The interior includes black marble mantels and excellent plaster work. Construction circa 1852 is attributed to Lewis Reeve Sams (1784-1856), a planter who at one time owned half of Dataw Island.