The present location of the church was designated by General James Oglethorpe in his distinctive plan for the Savannah settlement, although in the early years of the colony the congregation met in the courthouse. John Wesley, the third rector of the parish, served from 1736-1737 and published the first English hymnal in America. The present church building was built by James H. Couper in Greek Revival style in 1838. Couper was an aristocratic plantation owner who had graduated from Yale in 1814. He studied water management in Holland and was among the first to apply scientific research to agricultural operations.