The home was built circa 1820 when the 'kitchen house' was separate from the main house to prevent heat in the house and for fire safety. The interior has Adam Style decorative mantles and dentil moulding. The house has a Charleston-style multi-storey porch known as a 'piazza' running the full length of the house (typically on the south side) and a raised basement with entrance on the second or 'reception' level. Originally the piazza only spanned one side; it was expanded after the Civil War to wrap around the side. The house served as a Union hospital during the war. Today it is a bed and breakfast inn.