The Kornhaus, a restaurant and pub, was erected in 1929-1930 on the banks of the Elbe near the steamship pier, and commissioned by the city of Dessau and the Schultheiss-Patzenhofer Brewery. The name commemorates the granary (in German, kornhaus) that stood there from the mid-1800s until the 1870s. Carl Fieger worked as a draughtsman in Walter Gropius's practice but also had his own practice. The upper floor included a dance hall and a restaurant area from which one reached the banks of the Elbe. The front, semicircular building in the west was originally conceived as an open balcony, but in mid-construction, was closed in with glass. The basement floor featured a bar with a separate entrance.