Throne Hall (right), seen from the Phochani Pavilion to the south
All roofs have upturned decorations at each corner; called hang hong (tail of a mythical bird, the hamsa or wild goose). It frequently has the appearance of the head of a naga, or serpent (pronounced nak in Thai), with hornlike extensions
The Khmer name for the Throne Hall, Preah Thineang Dheva Vinnichay, translates as 'Sacred Seat of Judgment.' The cross-shaped building is crowned with three spires. The central, 59 m spire is topped with the white, four-faced head of Brahma. Inside are two royal thrones and busts of past Cambodian kings. This is the second Throne Hall on the site, the first (1869-1870) was wood and demolished in 1915. The present building was constructed in 1917 and inaugurated by King Sisowath in 1919. The ceiling is frescoed with scenes of the Reamker (the Khmer version of the Ramayana). As with all buildings and structures at the Palace, the Throne Hall faces east. The porch features kinnaris support figures on the columns.