Context view, Mausoleum of David Hume, left, Martyrs Monument, center, Governor's House, right
Governor's House of Calton Jail, built by Archibald Elliot (1761-1823) in 1815-1817. Governor's House is all that remains of Calton Jail (or Gaol), once the largest prison in Scotland, which was demolished in the 1930s to make way for St. Andrew's House
To The Memory Of Thomas Muir, Thomas Fyshe Palmer, William Skirving, Maurice Margarot and Joseph Gerrald. Erected by the Friends of Parliamentary Reform in England and Scotland, 1844
The Scottish Martyrs were five men, three of them English, who were imprisoned for campaigning for parliamentary reform in the late 18th and early 19th centuries under the influence of the ideals of the French Revolution. The five were accused of sedition in a series of trials and transported to Australia in 1794 and 1795. The monument was funded by public subscription raised by the radical MP Joseph Hume.