Architects William J. Gage (died 1965) and Harry G. Koerner (died 1935) created the Spanish Renaissance building in typical government style of that era. The low classical base, which symbolizes government, is dominated by an eight-story tower, which represents commerce. A renovation project began in 1982 that increased office space from 49,000 to 67,000 square feet and brought the building up to code. The blue, green and gold tile on the dome and gilded cupola were restored. The main entrance has has been moved from Crescent Drive to Rexford Drive and a remodel of the ground-floor reception area was completed in 2008.