Project Location: 100 N. Houston, Fort Worth, TX.
Sponsor/Developer: Sid Richardson Foundation and Tarrant County.
Project Description: As a tribute to the architectural grandeur of an adjacent sandstone courthouse, the artist created a trompe l'oeil mural on all visible exterior surfaces of a 1950's annex attached to it. The impressive magnitude of this project was in direct response to the building this mural hides. The annex building has always been unpopular among architecture critics and the general public. It has been described as resembling a large electrical appliance with vertical louvers extending from the ground floor to the roof. Its design clashed with the old courthouse from the beginning. Project architect George Woo developed a prefabricated panel system built out from the exterior walls, to which window openings were cut. The decorative design of the mural includes pilasters, spandrels, keystones and cornices, all shaded to provide a highly realistic feeling of carved stone masonry. The casual observer will believe that this building was from the last century, rather than the 1950's.
Project History: This project is one of three Richard Haas has done in Fort Worth, Texas, for businessman Sid Bass. Bass's family runs the Sid Richardson Foundation, which funded this project.